Tae Kwon Do is an attack style of Martial Arts originating in Korean. "Tae" means foot, "Kwon" means fist, "Do" means the way or translated as ``The way of Foot and Fist fighting''. But fighting doesn't stand for fighting against others, instead it means fighting against yourself. It is a way of achieving mental balance and developing better control of your own body.
Tae Kwon Do has continued to grow and evolve as it was handed down from generation to generation. During the end of the Lee Dynasty and during the Japanese occupation of Korea, Tae Kwon Do appeared to fade away, but the Tae Kwon Do spirit in Korea never died. Tae Kwon Do started to revitalize itself with the restoration of Korea's independence after 36 years of Japanese occupation Since that time, Tae Kwon Do has spread to almost every corner of the world. It has enriched lives, provided physical and spiritual discipline, and perpetuated a sense of tradition and values that are necessary for a strong society
The studio is certified to offer serious competitive training, but also serves students that are interested in Tae Kwon Do simply for fitness and self defense. We focus on teaching each student to do his/her personal best, not just in Tae Kwon Do, but in all areas of life. Our Martial Arts Program includes fun and exciting physical exercise, which will help you/your child increase
Unlike other sports and exercise programs, martial arts training also helps:
- build self confidence
- improve concentration
- practice self discipline
- increase respect
- learn self defense
- develop the "yes I can" positive winning attitude
Everyone is welcome-and everyone can benefit from learning at STKD.
Classes are available to Tiny Tigers tigers (ages 4 and under), kids, Teens and adults.
You will be amazed by the level of martial arts ability and confidence your child can achieve at this early age.
We have geared this program specifically to the "unique" attention span of 3-5 year old children. The confidence and discipline your child develops now will stick with them for life, and they will become unstopable in everything they do!
Goals of this Unique Program:
1. Develop social skills. One of the main functions of the tae kwon do class will be to promote social skills with other children and adults. Students will learn to show respect for others with a bow, saying encouraging comments to others, working and talking with adult teachers and helpers, to learn to introduce themselves to others, and learning to be partners with others. Social skills will also be evident in playing group games, learning to line up and following instructions.
2. Develop motor skills. Every activity you will see during a class session has a definite purpose. While the students are having fun with games and relays, they are unknowingly developing motor skills appropriate for their age. This will include coordination skills, right and left side development, flexibility, muscle strength, timing, speed drills, mobility skills, etc. In addition, Tae Kwon Do training is one of the best sports for overall development that will have benefits that will transfer to other sports.
3. Promote self discipline. While we try to make classes fun and exciting, there will be times when tae kwon do requirements are just plain work to learn. This is where self discipline will gradually develop through practice, repetition and memorization. At this age, practice at home should be light and fun, never make to be drudgery or critical. Also, self discipline will involve the control of emotions and behavior in class and at the dojo.
4. Develop learning skills. The learning process is multifaceted. Learning involves the combination of mental, physical and emotional including listening skills, following directions, becoming aware of one's body and how it moves in space, receiving supportive and encouraging instruction. Age specific learning skills and styles will be important.
5. Teach child safety. This will include dialing 911, rules to follow when around strangers, the correct way to talk on the phone or answer the door, our basic self defense techniques, and much more. Our goal is to teach these concepts in a non-threatening environment through games, discussion and practice, with the comfort of parental involvement and trustful teachers.
6. Develop self confidence. You might consider the development of self confidence and self esteem as the culmination of all of the above points. Every tae kwon do student comes with specific goals and desires. By attaining these goals the student builds confidence and establishes higher goals, not just in tae kwon do training but for all aspects of life.
Our studio is certified to offer competitive training in the sport Tae kwon Do. STKD is the home and choice of numerous state and national champions.
1. Recreational Sparring Classes. One of the main functions of the class will be to introduce the concepts of sparring safely with other children and adults. Students will learn basic footwork and kicking drills while being introduced to full contact Olympic Sparring. Once students understand the basics of sparring safely, they may be invited to join the intermediate sparring program.
2. Intermediate Sparring Classes. These classes are by invitation only. Students that have shown a strong work ethic in recreational classes and have developed an understanding of the concepts taught, may be invited to join the intermediate sparring classes. Here athletes start to take sparring more seriously. They are invited to join the “Silva Team” at local tournaments and become exposed to more advanced concepts such as ring control, advanced footwork, high section contact, etc. At this level, intermediate students also have the opportunity, once a week, to train with more seasoned athletes and are in a mixed class with our advanced, Black Belt, Sparring program.
3. Advanced Sparring Program. This program is reserved for athletes that are willing to dedicate themselves to an unrelenting pursuit of excellence in Olympic Taekwondo competition. This elite group puts in countless hours of training and full contact sparring weekly. They learn advanced ring management, advanced kicks and combinations, timing drills, advanced fakes and on and on. They must take a provincial referee course to better understand how the game is scored and why, from a referees' point of view. This also enables the athlete to better understand how warnings, penalties and points etc. are awarded during a match. With hard work and dedication to the sport, they can earn the opportunity to represent Silva Tae Kwon Do and California in Taekwondo competitions, Nationaly and Internationaly. This program has produced a large group of high calibre athletes including State and National Champions. The success of this program speaks for itself.
Our Sparring Programs are the only programs of their kind in the area and we are a member of the USA Taekwondo Association which is officially recognized by the Olympics Committee. All of our black belts in our programs also receive International Black Belt Certification through Kukkiwon.
This is important to consider when searching for a local Taekwondo program for your child, as only Kukkiwon registered Black Belts can compete at the National, International and Olympic levels of Olympic recognized Taekwondo in the world. This is also the only acceptable certification to qualify to compete in the Olympics !!
If you're looking for Taekwondo sparring programs in the Bay Area, this is the place to be !!
Give your child a fun filled summer while preparing them for their upcoming school year!
Every year Silva Tae Kwon Do offers a leadership camp experience for school-aged children. Your child will have a summer experience they will remember long after it's over. The camps are run by Silva Tae Kwon Do certified Black Belt instructors and staff who will provide your child with tutoring, physical fitness and adventurous afternoon and day trips. Don't let your child sit in the house and play video games all day!
Your child will receive lessons in the Official Olympic Sport of Taekwondo for 1 hour each day Mon. through Friday. Each afternoon, students are doing exciting Martial Arts activities, or are taken on half-day field trips
Our unique martial arts program helps children attain:
- Improved Grades
- Respect for Others
- Leadership Skills
- Increased Attention Span
- Better Coordination
- Lifelong Goal Setting Skills
- Summer time is not the time to let the progress made throughout the school year slip away.
Per week: $150.00 / 10% Off for additional family members
Call 408-247-6811 to reserve your spot!
We are proud to be working with our school system and currently teaching 9 different public schools and over 500 students outside of our studio. STKD started its own after school martial arts program in 2004, but found that there was a large number of kids who would not be able to afford this program and we wanted to give everyone the opportunity. In 2005 we launched the onsite program where now all students have the opportunity to participate at a much lower cost and in allot cases free of charge. Our program has made many positive changes from better grades, better respect at home, and school, self control, positive attitude and to develop the "yes I can" attitude.
Let us help you and your child develop Physical, Mental and moral fitness.
Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is a martial art and combat sport that focuses on
grappling and especially ground fighting with the goal of gaining a
dominant position and using joint-locks and chokeholds to force an
opponent to submit or be knocked out depending on what submission method
is used. The art is a derivative of early 20th century Kodokan Judo,
which was itself then a recently-developed system (founded in 1882),
based on multiple schools (or Ryu) of Japanese Jujutsu.
At Silva Martial Arts
Black belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructor Tom Cissero offers group
classes training in health and fitness Jiu-Jitsu style. Group classes
offer training excellence as well as the opportunity to practice on a
wide variety of training partners. See our class schedule for group
times and locations.